Friday, February 25, 2005

Another Blue Moon Day

The day comes once in a blue moon. A blue moon which is a holiday. So they are really few and far between. Those are the days that make me feel it would be better if I lived alone. Independent. But then again if I lived alone, then maybe…yeah at this point me always in two minds. This is something that has to be done some day. So actually when we think about it, this is something unavoidable. So now with me living with my folks, the only difference is that the occurrence is more frequent.

Waking up early in the morning. (Something I cant do, holiday-no holiday!! That explains my poor attendance in lectures.) But then the constant nagging that today is the D day or the W Day as the case is. “And that it is a fine morning. And a beautiful day has begun, the birds are chirping, the sun is shining, there is a light breeze blowing. It’s a perfect day.”

It would have been, a perfect day had I got to sleep a lil more. Say a couple of hours more. But no, today is the special day. Which doesn’t come often. But why? Because most often the reason for the event doesn’t happen. And the time when the event should happen, we don’t have time. Frankly I think the event can happen anytime anyday. And the anytime and anyday can be postponed till people aren’t physically uncomfortable in the presence of the chief guest. But when the rest of the females in the household are adamant there is not much you can do but give in. Resign to fate and accept your destiny. Yes even when you are a female…

Now laundry isn’t a big deal, thanks to the miracle of washing machines. Yep there are days when I do thank technology even though Im dissing it most of the time. But today wasn’t the day I were to express my gratitude to the washing machine. Because today wasn’t any ordinary laundry day. Today was “washing you filthy jeans day” And that day, praise the lord, is special!! And mom decided that seema’s dignity cant take any more assault or she would just give up on the challenge of working for the Nayak family.

So today, she decided her elder daughter has to apply in practice what she(me) announces knows in theory. And that she(yeah…me) had to start with washing the forbidden textile. A pair of jeans, mine. And since I have to learn the lessons of life the hard way, no whirlpool magic for me but plain ol soap and brush and buckets and buckets of water. So there I was, washing as she says “dirt from hell”.

It wasn’t easy. The entire exercise. Started off with a choked gasp when I realized it was ME who was gonna do it.
Mom: “If u can wear that God awful thing , u sure can wash em urself”. Stumped.
Me: *wailing* BUT MAA!!!!!!!
Mom: *that stubborn set of shoulders*
Me: *sigh* so tell me how do I start.

The “event” special as it was, took me half an hour. And around 4 buckets of water. One pair of jeans. Was a matter of pride now!! Umm, looking back I think it was pretty neat. Yes the jean was neat and clean too. Now I know the fine nuances of washing a pair of jeans. And since I started off with the toughest…most difficult task, I can very well say and reiterate THAT I CAN WITH SUCCESS WASH A PAIR OF UNBELIEVABLY FILTHY JEANS. Now, questions like, how did they get so dirty and what was I doing so long, wont be dignified with answers.

I thought of swearing off wearing jeans, coz if I dirty em (not like I roll in the mud or sumthing. I can swear on FB that im a clean child. Have always been) *sudders* I might have to wash em. My respect for Seema has increased 5 brownies!! But then, Id need to swear off quiet a lot of things. Like white clothes, living in my room, eating, drinking, living??

I thinking…these days me getting a bit too domesticated for comfort.

Mom coos “mera baccha finally growing up!!!”
Papa puts it down to another blue moon day…

32 comments:

  1. hey you,
    congratulations.....this calls for celebrations......
    I CANT wash jeans and so /repeat above lines in tune/.
    well moving out sounds good but is work.I'm here away from my mom and sis and i get terribly lonely sometimes specially when i have to cook for myself and eat the food alone.it makes me realise my ma is the best......
    love,
    divs...
    btw me FIRST!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember laundry days during my student years. Tried to postpone it as much as I could. But it would always be at the back of ur mind that "L-Day" is just round the corner and it would send a shiver down ur spine thinking - another day is going to go waste just watching ur clothes tumble in the washing machine - time that could have been spent in more useful endevours like lazing around on the couch watching a movie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that reminds me. I have to get my pants washed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Divs: yepp it is time 4 celebrations!!!
    hehe u cant??!! SHAME SHAME!!!! i CAN :D
    yeah da moving out living alone...only not 2 wash your own clothes...this whr da two minds situation comes in, no, i aint stupid.
    n eventually im gonna have 2 have em washed neway. So i do suppose home is da best. ma is da best n ofcourse Seema is da bestest :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satchit: my point exactly, watching clothes tumble aint a pretty sight. Worse is doing it urself when u cud b enjoying life
    *shakes head*

    Phal: MEANIE!!!
    get em washed??GET EM WASHED???!!!???
    *mom's lecture mode*
    "u young lady...blah blah blah"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Done it when i lived alone.
    Man, those days were BAD, i used to have a heap of stinking clothes to wash.
    i dont bother abt washing anymore :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. ship...u very wel knw dat me may hav to stay in the hostel.....ALONE!! doin my laundry n al.....did u HAVE TO freak me out rt nw??? can't u for once say somthin nice that livin alone...livin independently is fun!!!
    1 pair of jeans ...4 buckets of water!! haf an hr!! ....i'm doomed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok.. So,... I'm sending my Jeans to you incase my washing machine breaks down...
    Damn.. ..

    Btw.. who's FB?...
    Do I have to kick his arse or what?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeez! I have spent much of the weekend watching (all part of some corporate's twisted marketing efforts) random housewives wash clothes... and the feeling with which it is done, is intensely mind boggling... As I take a break from my report I see this... Hmmm...
    This whole business of getting domesticated is very very dangerous! As slippery as the suds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. J: yeha i kno and realise BAD even before living alone. My tedious journey has just begun.
    good 4 u not to do it anymore. umm..u have a maid now 2 do it or u have stopped bothering with the concept of clothes??

    Purv: rub it in y dont u!!! the fact that u got thru!!! and im jobless, no post grad degree nothing but washing Jeans!!!
    Freaking out a lil will do u good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diab: HA HA...FUNNY???
    do u kno the pain?? the anguish the cold water and the brutal soap done to my tender hands???
    the least u can do is be gentlemanly and umm...tell me i cud use ur washing machine.
    *sigh* GUYS *rolling eyes*

    PrimalSoup: lol tell me bout it!!
    and being domesticated. it is freaking ME out!! nxt comes the talks of shaadi. but that is for someother time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. :-)

    I can imagine how that must have felt - the idea of washing jeans was so abhorrent to me, that I wore them 3 months without washing them, when I was away in Germany. This despite the fact that I could have used a washing machine to do so - but after that I'd have to iron them too...horrifying. Washing other stuff is easy, but jeans - no way boss! Quite empathise with you there...

    ReplyDelete
  13. *with mock contempt* you washed ur jeans!! ..lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol.. to funny..
    In Varsity we just never washed them thingys,....much to the chagrin of our "goodie two shoes" classmates....lol
    btw - Elixir you have been added to my Coffee Tin.. err tin of Sardines..

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks like someone is getting trained for marriage..

    lucky is the guy whos gonna marry U.. atleast as far as the washing is concerned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Btw just realised quite a few exciting, first experiences coming your way this month - ones that leave you with subtle aches and pains all over ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Geetanjali: 3 months??!!!?? *mough agape* hehe:P

    Manuscrypts: *mock horror on myself* YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Garfxgurl: hehe hmm
    n thank u 4 linking me 2 ur coffee drinking sardines :P

    MwnN: U JUST HAD TO DO IT, didnt u!!! Go rite ahead and say out loud what mom was subtly trying to hint at. But me aint a fool too...will think of sumthing 2 reverse da process *wink*
    lol lucky guy?? well if u saying it, me not denying it :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. i always have one thing to say about parents-can't live with, can't live without:-|

    ReplyDelete
  20. but i have a bai who doesnt mind washing my jeans. she complains and yells then, but she washes. what can i do then?

    ReplyDelete
  21. growing up ya growing old??? ;) anyways, congrats for accopmlishing a new feat. when can i send my pair of jeans over to ur house? practice makes a man perfect u know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey this is my first time here.nice blog. i have never washed my jeans too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. waaaaaahhhhhh! u didnt put enuff resistance, me thinks! ure mum sounds EVIL, to tell de truth! I have a lovely old bai who washes my jeans in bbay - and now that i'm in calcutta, my mum does the dirty work, no pun intended! ;-)

    but yes - i remember the pride i felt when i cleaned up my filthy sneakers! ;-) mmm.... so yea, i identify with ure glory, too.. tc.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I suddenly pretend to be overcome with a 'might-be-a-slip-disc' backache,when there is any faint possiblity of me having to wash clothes. That's one skill I never could master. Hats off ships...way to go gurll.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rapunzel: hehe yeah , same goes for guys too *wink*

    Phalli: yeah yeah...excuses excuses *rolling eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  26. erratica: u lazy butt. wash em urself

    loa: *grin* well then u belong 2 a different species :P
    do come by again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rahul: FINALLYYYY u bak in my comment thingy.
    hehe u washd ur sneakers eh

    Astra: thank u very much* regal bow*

    ReplyDelete
  28. Did you delete a post or something ... damn, i remember some post after the blue moon thingy.

    Bye,
    Priyananda

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey elixir.. yes me a gsb .. can hear u scream :P..

    ReplyDelete
  30. mmm... yea, babe... am back in ure comments thingy - but when are u coming back to ure blog thingy???!!! post soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice Blog!!! It looks like you've spent a fair amount of time setting it up and keeping the content fresh. I'll be sure to come back and will be sure to bookmark this post in the meantime. The info here obviously isn't too closely related to my site RECOMMENDED DAILY WATER INTAKE.COM, but I had a really great read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete