Monday, June 13, 2005

Ponderings Anyone??

It rainedyesterday. At around 3 in the night. Was alseep but woke up. Surprising, its not everytime that once gone to theland of dreams, do I wake up. But it was the smell of the wet mud. Sounds cliched, wet mud, streaks of water, tapping of the drops on the window shade,
but romantic it is. And nostalgic.

Was sitting there till it was early morning. On the window sill. Leaning out, just. Only the feet and outstretched hands would get wet. There were drops which would fall on the grills and then bounce back on my face. Just a slight nip in the air, not uncomfortable but not cozy either. Something about it and my state of mind. Thinking, feeling, contemplating, nostalgic. It wasnt the desolate feeling that creeps in when alone, it wasnt the lonely feeling, the heavy feeling that settles around the heart, it was the hopeful kinds. It was the realisation that everything is beautiful and lovely, amazing and full of wonder, never ending and forever etched somewhere. Albeit in my memory.

The sky was reddish purple, there were crows sitting under the cover of the palm trees in the compound. Reminded me of my childhood. Took me back to me in class 3. Monsoons, june july. We would play antakshari and pappa would sing. Tell us ghost stories which would freak me out. And shubhra would make silly noises. It was when I understood the truth about fear both palpable and unconscious. And about Manna Dey and shama songeet and nazrool giti. We would be laughing when Maa would sing. And try sing in tune with pappa;s baritone.

There would be no electricity inthe nights. Wasnt needed too. There was breeze, the curious air that blows when it rains. We used to sit on the window sill. Me n my sister. And giggle and flail our limbs, hands outstretched palms cupped. Competing who would gather the most drops. Me used to cheat. I used to hold da palm under the shade where water would gather. And then splash it on her. And then we would start fighting. Because she would cry saying the water is dirty. Lol, was true *smiles*
All this in candle light, inverters as a concept hadnt arrived at my humble village. There was something about doing stuff in candle light i think, which gives my memories a surreal tint. I remember golden glow and cold air. We couldnt do our homework because there was no electricity. Pappa wouldnt let us. So we would do whole lot of other stuff. All sitting on the window sill.

Our neighbour, Mary Aunty would buy bread, no, not bread, its called paav. And the paav wala would come every evening. Sell Paav and eggs. And his arrival would be marked by the ringing of his cycle bell. Around 8ish. One nite it was raining heavy. And we were as usual getting bored with just the water works. No pun. We rang our cycle bell, twice, just the way the Paav wala would do. And as expected, Mary Aunty called out..."paav wala, ek dozen paav dena". I remember giggling so hard and for so long, couldnt seem to stop. Seemed like we would die laughing. But couldnt laugh loud, because like us Mary Aunty would also sit by the window. *smiles* How would the paav wala come? It was raining so heavy that night.

Make paper boats, throw them down. Competition was to see whose paper boat would remain upright. Mine never did. Was always sad at origami. Again I would cheat. Tie a thread to the sail of my boat and thow it down. Shubhra is smart if nothing else, and learns quick. She would throw pebbles in my boat. making it sink. And again we would fight.
Making craft with the melted candle wax. Drop melted wax in water and it hardens immediately. We would buy coloured candles for that. And then stick those frozen pallets on paper. Make apples, birds and then stick it up on the dart board.
And then skools would be shut due to heavy rains. Cooped up at home the whole day, we would give missed calls to our neighbours sleeping in the noon. Climb trees and play ghar ghar during summers. Gang up wid kids from other buildings and play cricket. I would never want to field. Always bat. And thats why they would never let me bat first. Coz of obvious reasons. I wouldnt field after i was out.

Life can never get back to that can it? Everything was NOT perfect. But then there was something so pure almost pious about the times then. And now...sitting again at the window sill. Almost 12 years later. Nothings changed, everythings changed...

The only difference is, then I was making memories... now I cherish them...

30 comments:

  1. me first i guess. but whrs the darling taggie? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I always loved it when the lights went out at nights. Apart from the fact that I could say, "I can't do my studying in the candle light, mommy!", the other thing I loved was the tranquil atmosphere - quiet, cool, and playing the guitar outside in the moonlight, trying to synchronize with the sounds of the leaves and wind was the epitome of bliss - almost insane! Great post.

    Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain seems to trigger this nostalgia attack in everyone. It only takes a little water to mess with your mind :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nostalgic indeed!

    (Damnit! I left a long comment abt how good village life is, and some stupid commn error screwed it up.. just like our dear village lives are screwed!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow .. lovely post ...
    The rains indeed are lovely ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swaps: Taggie under construction sweetie, n so is the rest o da blog. :-)

    Nikhil: *smiles* yeah the atmosphere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOxy: yeah, i rembr ur romantic post on rain :P

    MwnN: hehe yeah, blogger is shitty n hamara gaon ka connection doesnt help any ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww nostalgia rules doesn't it?
    "The only difference is, then I was making memories... now I cherish them... "

    But aren't we contg to make memories even now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. rains do this all the time. for a part of my life i lived at a place where electricity cuts were rampant, rains were heavy and i had a huge maidan to ourselves ... and rains would trigger the play and the water splash and the rain dance. dad, if home would always want a samosa. and i'd pull out the umbrella to go get some hot ones straight from the fry for him. and myself too. those were the days. and today, i struggle to reach office in one piece and unwet trousers. times change, people do, memories dont. miss my days of childhood. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, babes .. beautiful post. hugs.

    Reminded me of rainy days from my childhood, paper-boats, ghar-ghar, power cut-offs, light breeze, sleeping on the terrace, going out for walks at dark, and .. sigh, so many memories.

    Agree with Geetanjali up there - you are making more and more memories even now, and will be reminded of 'em in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IJ: :-)

    Geetz: umm yeah! we continue to make them even today. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ajay: awwwww. Hugs! abhi abhi vacation hua naa...greedy pig, wants more!

    Misty: yep many memories. yeah i agree wid geetz too. hows u doing babe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. really well written...especially the last line :)
    rains sure do have the ability to make memories come flooding back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey guess what, yesterday night, my yahoo status messg was "Rain rain come again!" and surely enough it did rain within 20 min.

    Think I might have discovered a mysterious superpower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm only happy when it rains!!!

    And oOoOoOoOoOoh nice template :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooooooohhhhhhhhh!! such a fantastic post! i love the rains and its been raining almost everynight here n its fab!i still play in the rain n make paper boats with sis........n power cuts and antakshari....wow u just brought back so many memories........*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everytime I sit next to the window and watch mother nature cry, all I can think of is - When the hell is the lightning gonna hit that guy walking with an umbrella.

    And dont get me started on the electricity

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sunny: it does, doesnt it

    J: :) yeah i know u do.
    n bout da template, u wud know if u came regularly *making a face at u*

    ReplyDelete
  19. yeah i know! :(

    but y does the user name not show up with each comment? i think me asking too many question... now i'll go n sit in the corner :-p

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am pretty sure I commented here. Anwyays- a very beautiful post. Where are you from? Seriously

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...and 12 years from now, u could be nostalgic about these posts..:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rains are indeed l;ovely..so are vilages..You shd read Ruskin Bond...sighh..I love his descriptions of mountain like..The hills he calls them....lovely..

    Mandrake Das.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ello...its raining here too...not too much fun though

    ReplyDelete
  24. yaar tu kahan gaayab ho gayi!?

    ReplyDelete
  25. rain rain go away
    come again another day
    when eleir is ready to play

    ReplyDelete
  26. I liked your thoughts ( like always ).
    i have already had 4 night outs due to rain and the night after that.
    They are just too beautiful to sleep.

    - Vipin

    ReplyDelete
  27. You will never stop making memories

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing post babes.... mind blowing!!!

    Nikhil

    ReplyDelete